Slice of Life

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indie Company

+3
Usui
holeymoley
Jakeandhistoe
7 posters

Main Character Discussion.

Jakeandhistoe
    Jakeandhistoe

Main Character Discussion.  Empty Main Character Discussion.

Post  Jakeandhistoe Sat May 26, 2012 3:09 am

I feel that there should be a separate topic for the discussions of the main character. Since this guy is the key figure of the VN, I think that all ideas and discussions should be isolated from the others.

This topic will be where to talk about the Main Character and his own personal traits and back story.

Last edited by Jakeandhistoe on Sat May 26, 2012 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    holeymoley
    holeymoley

Main Character Discussion.  Empty what i think (correct if wrong)

Post  holeymoley Sat May 26, 2012 3:58 am

Name: WE WILL VOTE
    Sex: Male
    Look: White, Average height, Lean, Blonde Hair? Brown Eyes, Birthmark on his back ( make him self conscious later)

add on if you like
    Usui
    Usui

Main Character Discussion.  Empty Re: Main Character Discussion.

Post  Usui Sat May 26, 2012 4:30 am

holeymoley wrote:Name: WE WILL VOTE
    Sex: Male
    Look: White, Average height, Lean, Blonde Hair? Brown Eyes, Birthmark on his back ( make him self conscious later)

add on if you like
    Nope nope nope
    brown hair
    name taro
    Jakeandhistoe
    Jakeandhistoe

Post  Jakeandhistoe Sat May 26, 2012 4:56 am

I feel like we should be discussing his personality more than anything else, since the player might not be seeing the MC apart from maybe in CG's. But it's still good to get a picture of what he will look like anyway.

This might be my own personal opinion, but I don't really want the Main character to be an average Joe. I want him to have some special features that the other characters in the VN might not have. I'm not just talking about personality either. I would also want him to get more developed as well as the characters when their route is followed; with maybe some features of him opening up in one route while he still hides something from the reader which he explains in another route.

Again, this is just discussion and nothing here can be made final. I just want everyone to get a clear image of how to flesh this guy out in the story.
    Kevinobody
    Kevinobody

Post  Kevinobody Sat May 26, 2012 8:51 am

Jakeandhistoe wrote:I feel like we should be discussing his personality more than anything else, since the player might not be seeing the MC apart from maybe in CG's. But it's still good to get a picture of what he will look like anyway.

This might be my own personal opinion, but I don't really want the Main character to be an average Joe. I want him to have some special features that the other characters in the VN might not have. I'm not just talking about personality either. I would also want him to get more developed as well as the characters when their route is followed; with maybe some features of him opening up in one route while he still hides something from the reader which he explains in another route.

Again, this is just discussion and nothing here can be made final. I just want everyone to get a clear image of how to flesh this guy out in the story.

Well the first thing i thought of was some sort of distinguishable appearance. I know backdrop is important too. How about adding some sort of event in his past that affects him later on? Some sort of tragedy? Something he did? With that it will much more easier to flesh him out with the other characters.

holeymoley
    holeymoley

Post  holeymoley Sat May 26, 2012 9:01 am

Kevinobody wrote:
    Well the first thing i thought of was some sort of distinguishable appearance. I know backdrop is important too. How about adding some sort of event in his past that affects him later on? Some sort of tragedy? Something he did? With that it will much more easier to flesh him out with the other characters.

Like what i said about a birthmark? it could be a scar actually.... that would be easier to expand upon
    Kevinobody
    Kevinobody

Post  Kevinobody Sat May 26, 2012 9:13 am

holeymoley wrote:
    Kevinobody wrote:

Like what i said about a birthmark? it could be a scar actually.... that would be easier to expand upon

A scar is a good enough idea, but im afraid that its too simple. Well that just me. If we do the scar idea we can have him with it on his back or arm. Maybe cover a large portion of his body.
    holeymoley
    holeymoley

Post  holeymoley Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 am

maybe it was caused by a member of his family when he was young, or he could have like one ear and thats why he has long hair? to hide the plastic one, that could be why he doesnt listen
    Kevinobody
    Kevinobody

Post  Kevinobody Sat May 26, 2012 9:22 am

holeymoley wrote:maybe it was caused by a member of his family when he was young, or he could have like one ear and thats why he has long hair? to hide the plastic one, that could be why he doesnt listen

I like to think he was in a tragic accident, maybe a large fire that killed his family maybe? or his old friends? Or maybe he caused the fire.
    holeymoley
    holeymoley

Post  holeymoley Sat May 26, 2012 9:42 am

Kevinobody wrote:I like to think he was in a tragic accident, maybe a large fire that killed his family maybe? or his old friends? Or maybe he caused the fire.

The fire thing sounds too much like hanakofrom KS, maybe its an acid burn on his back from a prank during a lesson in his old school that his friends decided to play on him which is why he moved.
    Kevinobody
    Kevinobody

Post  Kevinobody Sat May 26, 2012 9:46 am

holeymoley wrote:
    Kevinobody wrote:I like to think he was in a tragic accident, maybe a large fire that killed his family maybe? or his old friends? Or maybe he caused the fire.

The fire thing sounds too much like hanakofrom KS, maybe its an acid burn on his back from a prank during a lesson in his old school that his friends decided to play on him which is why he moved.

You know your right. Maybe he got in deep with some sort of gang or mafia. Therefore he paid a high price. Maybe not burned scars but some stab wounds or notifiable marks on his skin.
    holeymoley
    holeymoley

Post  holeymoley Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am

Kevinobody wrote:
    You know your right. Maybe he got in deep with some sort of gang or mafia. Therefore he paid a high price. Maybe not burned scars but some stab wounds or notifiable marks on his skin.

A school gang is believable
    Kevinobody
    Kevinobody

Post  Kevinobody Sat May 26, 2012 9:54 am

holeymoley wrote:
    Kevinobody wrote:

A school gang is believable

Definitively. The MC could have pissed off the school gang because he....i dont know...he doesnt take shit from anybody? Obviously he did something to piss them off.
    Jakeandhistoe
    Jakeandhistoe

Post  Jakeandhistoe Sun May 27, 2012 1:57 am

The gang idea seems good. Maybe he got physically abused by them constantly and was forced to move away because of the ongoing threat.
    SunnyDay
    SunnyDay
    Admin

Post  SunnyDay Sun May 27, 2012 2:04 am

So to summarize what you guys have spoken about:

The MC is a doesn't-take-shit-from-no-one kind of character. I'm guessing the gang at his old school are constantly beating him up for fun, but he does try to stand up for himself.

One day he did something to piss off the gang and to get him back, they poured acid down his back during a science/chemistry lesson and it left him severely scarred, and he's very self conscious about the scarring down his back. And not long after this event, he moved school/city/country.

Am I on the right track here?
    Jakeandhistoe
    Jakeandhistoe

Post  Jakeandhistoe Sun May 27, 2012 2:07 am

SunnyDay wrote:So to summarize what you guys have spoken about:

The MC is a doesn't-take-shit-from-no-one kind of character. I'm guessing the gang at his old school are constantly beating him up for fun, but he does try to stand up for himself.

One day he did something to piss off the gang and to get him back, they poured acid down his back during a science/chemistry lesson and it left him severely scarred, and he's very self conscious about the scarring down his back. And not long after this event, he moved school/city/country.

That seems to be a good description to me. We'll have to see what others think as well though.
    Usui
    Usui

Post  Usui Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 am

Jakeandhistoe wrote:
    SunnyDay wrote:So to summarize what you guys have spoken about:

That seems to be a good description to me. We'll have to see what others think as well though.
    I like it.
    SunnyDay
    SunnyDay
    Admin

Post  SunnyDay Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 am

Well this is an interesting discovery.

It may make the game a little more personal, since I'll probably be able to make it so you can enter your own names for the MC.

https://imgur.com/koiz5
    Usui
    Usui

Post  Usui Sun May 27, 2012 5:17 am

Do that do that
    Kanade
    Kanade
    Admin

Post  Kanade Sun May 27, 2012 5:26 am

Hmm i don't know. I like it more if a character just has a name so he has more of a protagonist feel to it. like i don't think i would've enjoyed KS as much if he wasn't called Hisao buit instead given an option to name him which kind of destroys the unique feeling that he is a person.
    Usui
    Usui

Post  Usui Sun May 27, 2012 5:36 am

Tweetyftw wrote:Hmm i don't know. I like it more if a character just has a name so he has more of a protagonist feel to it. like i don't think i would've enjoyed KS as much if he wasn't called Hisao buit instead given an option to name him which kind of destroys the unique feeling that he is a person.
    How about rin like from shuffle?
    lol!
    holeymoley
    holeymoley

Post  holeymoley Sun May 27, 2012 5:51 am

we could call him Daniel and then have an old man (janitor) call him Daniel-san
    SunnyDay
    SunnyDay
    Admin

Post  SunnyDay Sun May 27, 2012 5:53 am

Alright. I'm going to give him a name. But we need to discuss it soon, because now, I'm going to practice the coding.
    Usui
    Usui

Post  Usui Sun May 27, 2012 5:55 am

Taro
    SunnyDay
    SunnyDay
    Admin

Post  SunnyDay Sun May 27, 2012 6:02 am

SunnyDay wrote:Alright. I'm going to give him a name. But we need to discuss it soon, because now, I'm going to practice the coding.

And by that, I mean a little project that most likely won't have anything to do with out VN as of yet.

By the way. From the sounds of it, our MC has moved from another country. We need to decide which country, and a name from that location.

E.G. If he's American or British, he most likely needs an English name, like John or Steve.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 10:13 pm